sorry to admit that we are all bake off addicts in our house – we love the simplicity of the programme, none of that ‘over dramatic x factor its my life long dream nonsense’. sadly what with maude bogged down with homework there is definitely a lack of baking going on in our house at the moment. however maude has took it in her stride to bake these gluten free cakes as birthday presents for her many healthy gluten free friends. she used the primrose bakery recipe.
200g dark chocolate
200g unsalted butter
4 large eggs (separating yolks and whites)
220g golden caster sugar
Cocoa powder or icing sugar for dusting
– Preheat the oven at 180 C and grease a 23cm cake tin with butter
– In a heat resistant bowl, melt the chocolate pieces and butter over a bain marie stirring continuously
– In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks with half of the caster sugar, then fold in the melted chocolate and butter mixture, set aside.
– In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and beat in the remaining sugar
– Fold the egg white mixture into the chocolate one being careful not to overmix it in order to keep it airy
– Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean
– Leave to cool
– Dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar